¶ Hosted login page vs Embedded login component
A variety of authentication integration methods are provided in the Authing system, among which the most recommended and most commonly used are "Hosted Mode" and "Embedded Component " mode. Both modes provided by Authing are easy to implement. You can read the access flow of the hosted login page and the embedd login component separately. The main difference between these two are in application scenarios, customization flexibility, and the cost of maintaining management.
¶ Hosted Login Page
The Authing host mode is considered to be the simplest and most secure way of integration. This is because the login flow is maintained by Authing and kept secure by Authing. For most integrations, the login flow hosted by Authing is recommended. Your business system will redirect the user to Authing, where the user is authenticated, and then redirects back to the application callback connection configured in the console. This design is considered as the best security practice. In terms of custom configuration, the host mode provides a moderate level of custom form configuration of the login and registration, which can be customized by the console configuration and CSS.
For details about access, please refer to Use the Hosted Login Page to complete the authentication.
¶ Embedded login component
For details about access, please refer to Use the Hosted Login Page to complete the authentication.。
¶ Why need Authing host?
- Easy to maintain, no need to maintain, no need to update.
- Hosted and protected by Authing.
- No XSS (cross-site scripting) attacks and other potential risks.
- Easy to integrate.
- Can be customized through console configuration and CSS.
- Complex logic changes that require access to the source code are restricted.
- Redirect the user out of the application, then redirect to Authing, and then redirect again.
¶ What about embedded component?
- May require some maintenance. If you use a CDN, maintenance will be more restricted because Authing will keep it up to date. NPM packs a specific version of the login component, which means that it may need to be updated regularly in the project.
- It is still considered very safe if using recommended best practices to implemented project.
- Compared with building from scratch, the custom control function of source code is powerful, while greatly simplifying the development process and improving security.
- If you are fully following our documentation or related tutorials for integrated development, there will be no security risks. However, it needs to be noted that if your integrated implementation plan differs greatly from the recommended method, such as failing to keep the security credentials effectively, there may be potential security risks.
- May be vulnerable to XSS (Cross Site Scripting) attacks.
- Compared with the login process hosted by Authing, the integration and maintenance workload is higher.
- Keep users in the app, reducing redirects to and from Authing.